Facts and figures
- Commissioning date: 1899
- Logistics Center and industrial area
- 300 companies with 5.000 employees offer their services in the port area
- The Port of Dortmund is accessible via ship, railroad and truck
- The port disposes on continental as well as intercontinental level of direct traffic connections of these three transport carriers
- Total size: a total of 1.7 million square meters, of it 35 hectare water area
- 10 port basins
- 11 kilometers of embankments
- Main transshipment cargo: containers, bulk commodities, mineral oil products, general cargo
- Uundertakes important functions for Central Europe and the seaports of Zeebrugge, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Amsterdam (the so-called ZARA-ports) and the German seaports.
The port is directly connected to the entire European traffic system. This means: the Port of Dortmund has a trimodal orientation and is accessible via ship, railroad and truck.
From here, the continental fine distribution of goods as well as exports and imports via the ZARA-ports and the German ports of the North Sea are carried out.
The competence in logistics of the Port of Dortmund results from the collaboration of the Dortmunder Hafen AG and its associated companies with the enterprises located in the port area:
- Dortmunder Hafen AG: property and floor space management, maintenance of water areas and basins.
- Dortmunder Eisenbahn: the associated company of the Dortmunder Hafen AG provides rail transports in the port area as well as on a regional, national and international level. It is in addition in charge of the rail infrastructure in the port area and therefore responsible for the connection of the adjacent owners in the port area to the rail network.
- Container Terminal Dortmund (CTD): Container terminal in the Port of Dortmund which also has a completely trimodal rientation. The Container Terminal Dortmund GmbH is also an associated company of the Dortmunder Hafen AG.
- The adjacent owners in the port area: forwarding and transshipment agencies providing the necessary equipment like cranes, crane bridges, pipelines, storage areas, halls etc.